Experience life-changing growth. Become a Minnesota Reading Corps literacy tutor.
You’re ready for growth. Whether you’re looking to explore a new career in education, reenter the workforce or simply want to work with kids, you’re ready. So what are you waiting for? Become a Minnesota Reading Corps literacy tutor at Banaadir Academy and start creating meaningful growth. One (1) full-time Elementary Literacy Tutor position is available.
Minnesota Reading Corps, the country’s largest state AmeriCorps program, will train and place over 1,000 literacy tutors in schools across the state. These tutors provide research-based strategies, monitor progress and ultimately, guide struggling students toward becoming successful readers by the end of third grade. They are seeing real results and catching kids up to their peers. All while building valuable professional experience. It’s a chance to explore life in our school and create growth– both in your life and a young child’s life.
During your eleven-month AmeriCorps service, you’ll receive extensive training, support and general professional development opportunities. In addition, you’ll receive a living stipend of about $500 biweekly, an education award of $5,550 and other benefits if eligible.
All tutors serve 11 months as AmeriCorps members, beginning in August, and will be trained by Minnesota Reading Corps to provide proven, data-driven literacy strategies to at-risk children.
Elementary Literacy Tutors work one-on-one with K-3 children who need help learning to read. These AmeriCorps members are trained in research-based strategies and use prescribed literacy interventions and conduct weekly progress monitoring to ensure the student is on track to read at grade level by the end of third grade. They commit to daytime hours and are placed in elementary schools, where they build their professional experience and network.
- Strong interest in education, specifically helping children develop early language and literacy skills
- Experience working with children, preferably in an early childhood setting or as a literacy tutor
- Dedication to community service
- Computer skills, including the ability to navigate and use online database systems and e-mail
- Speak, read, and write English fluently
- Responsible, organized, flexible, motivated, professional
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to make a commitment to complete 11 months of service (August 7, 2013 – July 13, 2014)
- High school diploma or GED and must be at least 18-years-old
- U.S. citizen or lawful Permanent Resident Alien
- Preferred: College coursework, college degree, or equivalent work experience
How do I apply? Positions for the 2013-14 school year begin August 7. To read more about the program, including full position descriptions, and to apply, visit www.MinnesotaReadingCorps.org.