GIVING STUDENTS WHAT THEY NEED FOR LIFELONG SUCCESS
MTS, we are committed to learning by doing and preparing students for employment after high school. Our Careers and Work Experience Program along with our Career Academies offers theory and practical experience for employment and entry into college and post-secondary training options after high school.
We very highly recommend that each student enroll in our semester long Careers course. This is the how to find, get, and keep a job as well as our career exploration and college planning course. This course is open to grades 10-12 and it is the recommended course to be taken with our Work Experience Program.
Grade 9 offers individual attention to careers in advisory and with one-one-one appointments with the Work Coordinator:
- Set up individual accounts in the Minnesota Career Information System.
- Complete Reality Check Exercise, IDEAS or Career Cluster Inventory
- Learn to use the Occupations Program in MCIS to be able to locate data on occupational choices.
- Obtaining documents required for employment.
- Work Readiness Skills Training
encourage students to apply for resource agency internships
encourage volunteer experiences
prepare students to apply for MTS STEP UP and other community summer jobs programs.
Grades 10 -12 Careers Course, focus on the Minnesota Careers Information System (MCIS) resource and other career preparation:
- Learning about yourself (MCIS permanent electronic portfolio)
MCIS Career Cluster Inventory
ONET Interest Profiler
ONET Work Importance Locator
Data People Things Preference
- Preparing for Employment
Preparing a market ready resume
Locating employment opportunities (traditional and electronic methods)
Preparing cover letters
Completing applications, both paper and electronic
Follow up techniques
Preparing and practicing interviewing
- Introduction to paid work experience component of the program
- Career exploration
- Identifying and learning to use community resources in job training and or post secondary planning.
If you have questions, contact R. Hammond at MTS High School, firstname.lastname@example.org.