Supplemental part-time enrollment is when a student is enrolled in a public or charter school and takes up to half of their courses online. Logistics about this enrollment option are the following:
- Students remain full-time at and graduate from their local district
- Easy enrollment process gets students started quickly
- Flexibility to take one course or up to 50% of courses online per term
- No cost to students or families
- Duration and selection of course(s) are approved by the local school counselor
- All material is online through written and video content
- Courses are aligned to the Minnesota Department of Education Academic Standards
- Bi-weekly progress reports provided along with academic and technical support
- Transcripts with letter grade for each completed course sent to home school
Students log into the classroom website which holds all the content and assessments for each class in which they are enrolled. They can work at their own pace revolving around their own schedule, though more time may be needed for their difficult subjects in order to meet attendance requirements. All assessments are submitted within the classroom website. Students always start at the beginning of the course and must finish their courses by the end of the term regardless of when they start.
Attendance is based on progress in courses – progress is made when students complete and submit assessments and following the course schedule ensures full attendance. Students who do not complete work could risk being dropped from part-time enrollment. Our part-time coordinator is the main point of contact for families and the local school counselors and oversee attendance compliance.
Students with IEPs may take classes as a part-time student and teachers will provide accomodations listed on the IEP. Direct instruction is not provided by MNVHS teachers to part-time students.
Once a student has completed their course(s) MNVHS will send a transcript to their local school counselor on file. Part-time students do not earn a diploma from MNVHS. Their home school tracks graduation requirements and would provide a diploma upon completion of their required courses and testing. MNVHS classes go towards the required courses.
Teachers are available for help during regular school hours or by appointment; each teacher has set aside specific chat hours for immediate help. Teachers utilize chat, phone, email, and a shared-screen program as needed to communicate with students. They want to meet students where they’re at and help them complete their courses successfully.
Student can work 24/7 beginning the morning of their start date until the end of term. There is not a required time they must be online any particular day. MNVHS recommends one hour for each class for each school day.
As a public school there is no cost to students or parents. We do not provide courses for tuition pay.
In order to enroll part-time, a student must:
- Be enrolled or attend a Minnesota public school
- Have available hours in schedule or drop certain class(es) to take them online
- Be able to access a computer and internet regularly to complete work – whether it be at the local school, library, home or another location.
- All content material is online and meets state education requirements. Assessments are taken or uploaded and submitted online. There is a lot of reading, some integrated videos and generally no recorded lectures. MNVHS primarily uses Plato curriculum from Edmentum, however, teachers may utilize other curriculum in whole or in part for their courses.
Benefit of Supplemental Online Courses
Supplemental online courses are helpful for students with the following:
- Scheduling conflicts
- Course variety needs
- Alternate learning styles
- Bullying issues
- Early graduation needs
- Mental health situations
- Physical restrictions
- Credit recovery
- Quicker or slower pacing
- 24/7 access to courses
- Flexible start and end dates
Supplemental online courses benefit your school:
- No need to find part-time teachers
- PE course can adapt to students with
- Variety of career-focused and unique electives
- Spanish Levels 1-3
For information about MN Virtual, email us at email@example.com or call 612-746-7977.