Community Liaison Banaadir Academy Update
Community Liaisons at MTCS serve an important role making sure our programs are running smoothly and effectively for particular cultural communities. Banaadir Schools serve a large number of students from East Africa and the community liaison position is critical in supporting the unique needs of families.
Some recent positive developments in the Banaadir Academy program are:
- Students are showing a lot of academic growth, particularly in the Elementary programs. It is exciting, and rewarding for students to set and reach big goals.
- There is a progress track in the Secondary grades, where students meet regularly with leadership and teachers to go through their individual testing scores and accomplishments, and set goals for progress. Every student has their own unique plan.
- The Secondary program has created an Honor Roll program. Every quarter, students who are excelling will be honored, and enjoy a celebration lunch with the Superintendent and other school leaders.
- This year, Banaadir Academy has added new after school activities, complete with transportation home afterward. Along with other activities is after school homework support to give students a chance to get individualized support, which keeps academics strong.
- Families feel very supported and listened to, with leadership responding to their needs and making the changes that make school work for their families.