August 4, 2019
Dear Banaadir School Families,
Welcome to the 2019-2020 School Year! I hope you have enjoyed summer days with your children and everyone is refreshed and ready to go. It promises to be an exciting year. Banaadir Academy has a number of exciting changes that we all are looking forward to including; early release Fridays for our students, new transportation companies, and a revised focus on our educational standards.We look forward to seeing everyone and are committed to providing the best educational environment for every student. Thank you for entrusting your children to us!
Introducing New Faculty and Staff to Banaadir Academy:
- Mariam Mohamed will teach students in 5th grade. Mariam was our 4th grade teacher two years ago and we are excited to have her back in the classroom.
- Jamie Olson will teach our Kindergarten alongside Britta Hagstrom. These two are already working wonderfully as a team.
- Hannah Zobitz will teach students in 2nd grade and is excited to join the Banaadir community. She’s been working extremely hard this summer preparing with her co teacher Susan Rauchbauer.
- Heather Hvezda will be teaching Physical Education and we are excited for her to bring her new ideas and energy to the gym.
- Hamda Mohamed will be returning to Banaadir to be an EL specialist. We are so excited to have her back and she is ready to see our students again!
Back to School Night is Thursday, August 29th
Families are asked to come anytime between 5:00-7:00pm. Please start in the Banaadir Academy Main Office where our staff will be waiting to welcome you and answer any questions you may have. Following your stop in the main office, you are invited to go to the classrooms to meet your children’s teachers. Students are encouraged to bring their school supplies to drop off in their classrooms.
School begins Tuesday, September 3
Our staff looks forward to welcoming all of our students on day one. Our hope is to allow for each student to have a strong successful first day. Please notify the office of any transportation problems.
Volunteering: Banaadir Academy thrives with parent involvement! Every family is asked and invited to participate in daily activities around the school. Our staff welcomes involvement from your family throughout the school year. There are a variety of opportunities to volunteer in the office, classrooms, and lunch room. Please feel free to contact the main office with any questions.
School Hours are 7:30-2:30 Monday-Thursday and 7:30-12:15 Friday
*At MTCS we understand that the needs of students go beyond academics. In an effort to equip ourselves to meet the needs of our students we will be having weekly staff development on Friday afternoons. These trainings will include topics around socio-emotional needs of students, standards based instruction and effective classroom management. It is our hope to provide the best possible education for your student, we feel these steps will move us closer to that goal.
In closing, I want to express that Banaadir Academy is taking great strides forward. MTCS has a clear vision of how to best meet the needs of all learners. Please know that my door is always open and I invite you to stop in to say hello and discuss any topics related to the success of our students and our community. Soon those excited faces will be entering the school doors! I am certainly grateful to work with a top-notch staff, involved parents and amazing students. Together we will have a great year!
Joe Hutchins, MA
Principal of Banaadir Academy